samedi 5 janvier 2013

Mon mot de l'année 2013 (My Word of the Year for 2013)

(English translation below)

Plusieurs études américaines indiquent que la plupart des bonnes résolutions du Nouvel An ("J'arrête de fumer", "Je vais perdre 12kg", etc) sont laregement oubliées au bout de quelques semaines.  La résolution de respecter son corps et d'en prendre soin est une résolution à prendre chaque matin durant toute sa vie, et non pas seulement un soir de réveillon. Depuis de nombreuses années, j'ai pris la décision... de ne plus prendre de décision au Nouvel An.

En revanche, j'ai pris une nouvelle habitude du nouvel an qui m'a bien réussi: Je choisis un mot (un seul mot) qui va m'inspirer pour toute l'année.

Dans le passé, j'ai choisi le mot Oser, ce qui m'a aidée à démarrer mon livre et à passer le cap de l'angoisse de la page vide. L'année suivante, le mot Patience m'a aidée à avancer dans ce travail de fourmi et finalement à terminer ce @#$%^&! bon sang de livre.

Lorsque j'ai recu le diagnostique de cancer des ovaires en 2011, mon mot de l'année était Bonheur. Je lisais des livres sur ce thème et j'appliquais ce que je découvrais. Cela m'a beaucoup amusée. Ce thème m'a beaucoup aidée car le bonheur est une attitude, une manière de vivre, fortement liée à une bonne santé physique et mentale.

Et l'année dernière, au coeur de la tempête, le mot qui m'a portée était: Espoir...

Cette année, mon mot de l'année sera Simplicité. J'ai moins de forces, je dois remonter la pente petit à petit, alors l'atittude permettant de simplifier ma vie, simplifier mes ambitions, et me focaliser sur une seule chose à la fois, me sera très utile. Simplicité signifiera aussi modestie: mettre les choses de ma vie en perspective, accepter mes nouvelles limites, et sourire de mes erreurs et de mes petits défauts.
 
***

Many american studies suggest that most of our good New Year's resolutions ("I quit smoking", "I will lose 12kg", etc.) are forgotten after only a few weeks. Resolution to take care of our body should rather be a good resolution to take every morning during our whole life, and not just after a heavy New Year diner. Years ago, I have decided that I would... not decide to take any New Year resolutions anylonger.
 
However, I have adopted a new New Year habit that proved successful for me: I've chosen a word, just one word, that will inspire me for the whole year.
 
In the past, I chose the word Daring, which helped me to start to write a book and even to overcome a writer's block at some stage. The following year, the word Patience helped me to finish writing this painstaking task of writing this $%^&#* book.
 
When the diagnose of ovarian cancer hit me in summer 2011, my word of the year was Happiness. I had read books on the subject and I had applied what I had discovered. I had found it very funny to do. This theme helped me a lot through this very difficult time, because happiness is an attitude, a way of life, closely linked to good physical and mental health.
 
And last year, in the heart of the storm, the word that carried me was: Hope ...
 
This year, my word of the year is Simplicity. I have less strength, so I need to go back up the hill slowly. The atittude to simplify my life, simplify my ambitions, and focus on one thing at a time, will be very useful. Simplicity also mean modesty, putting my life in perspective,  accept my new limitations, and smile from my mistakes and my small defects.
 
 
***


5 commentaires:

Unknown a dit…

Hi Catherine,
I have been following your blog ever since you were diagnosed with overian cancer. It just happened that your blog came to my attention at that time. I read your blog when you were going through all the surgeries and your chemo therapy treatments. Now that you are in remission, I also read and understand your fears. I tell you that I understand your fear of not living to see old or older age - not because I experienced your situation. I must say that thank G-d I did not walk in your shoes, but I do understand that raw fear of not surviving and not seeing your child grow up and, so much more that you would like to accomplish in your life.
I did not know how to answer to your previous blog, but I did want to give you some encouragement and, Catherine, I just did not know how. But it just came to me like a bolt of lightening. I am in midst of reading a very good book. It's name is "Made for You and Me". by Caitlin SHetterly. If you have a chance to find this book, you might like to read it.
In it the words of encouragement just popped up. I think you might like, and understand why I am quoting this part to you:
"First Lesson".
"Lie back daughter, let your head
be tipped back in the cup of my hand.
Gently and I will hold you. Spread
your arms wide, lie out on the stream
and look high at the gulls. A dead-
mans-float is face down. You will dive
and swim soon enough where this tidewater
ebbs to the sea. Daughter, believe
me, when you tire on the long thrash
to your island, lie up, and survive.

As you float now, where I held you
and let go, remeber whn fear
cramps your heart what i told you:
lie gently and wide to the light-year
star, lie back, and the sea will hold you".
The poem was wrtter by: Philip Booth

Catherine, just lie back, spread your arms and look up in the sky to see the see gullls. And let the see will hold you.
Fondly, Esther

Anonyme a dit…

Bonjour,
Bonne année , simplement Bonne Année, avec plein de petits et grands moments de bonheur à savourer.
Je suis toujours votre blog même si je n'interviens pas ou plus mais je vous suis toujours.
Bien à vous,
Annick

Catherine T. a dit…

Dear Esther, thank you so much for this beautiful poem! Indeed there have been many long hours when I had to lie down on my back and couldn't do anything else but waiting and wishing to be in the future already. But I didn't have to be waiting, I was just breathing and surviving. Lots of love, Catherine.

Catherine T. a dit…

Merci Annick, bonne année a vous aussi!

Julie a dit…

mon mot à moi serait : CROIRE!
croire en soi, en la vie... c'est ce qui m'a permis de vivre les derniers mois...

Julie